ST. PATRICK’S DAY TREATS
Believe it or not, our vibrant green shamrock treats were inspired by a trip to Giolitti – Rome’s oldest and best gelato shop. Founded in 1890, and still run by the same family, it was in Giolitti’s kitchen where I learned that in order to give their pistachio gelato its beautiful bright green color, they add the juice of fresh spinach.
I would never question a family that has been producing scoops of heavenly gelato for 130 years, so our Spring dog treat features a Giolitti secret and powerful superfood, spinach! Packed with vitamins A, B, C, K, iron, calcium and fiber – spinach also gives pups and parents a much needed boost to the immune system.
- 1 cup (tightly packed) fresh spinach
- ½ cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ⅛ cup honey
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 ½ cups rice flour
- Preheat oven to 225° F
- Puree one tightly packed cup of spinach with ½ cup water in a small Cuisinart or blender.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine spinach puree, applesauce, canola oil and honey with the paddle attachment on medium for about 3 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix on medium another 3 minutes. The mixture will be the consistency of applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat and rice flours.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients ½ cup at a time and mix well after each addition. (As the liquid content of spinach and applesauce can vary, you’ll know you have added enough flour when the dough feels soft, but not sticky to the touch. A little more or a little less flour than what the recipe calls for may be required.)
- Remove the dough from the bowl, press into a ball, wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes to one hour. (Dough can be made a day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. Return to room temperature prior to rolling out.) As we’re using gluten free flour, it’s best to let wet ingredients fully absorb.
- Place dough on a lightly rice floured surface, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and roll out to ¼ inch thickness. [For a smooth crack free surface, always place a sheet of plastic wrap between your dough and rolling pin.] Remove plastic wrap, cut into desired shape and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 2 hours [longer for crunchier treats, less time for softer) turn off oven and leave treats in oven to cool and dry.
Store treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks depending on their moisture content.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you and your beasts!Treat testers Olive & Louie below...