LAYERS OF LOVE FROZEN TREAT
"Food is the language of love. And boy do I love language!"
- Mabel (Enthusiastic Lab Mix/MODERNBEAST Model/Foodie)
As this is the season of love, we’re about to share the perfect way to say I love you to those you love the most - your beasts. And with zero baking and only three ingredients, you may just want to make our Layers of Love Treat all year long.
The superfood power of the humble beet, is hard to, well, beat. That’s why this root veggie is the star of our treat. Show us another A-lister who can help support a healthy brain, heart, digestive system, reduce inflammation and provide a gorgeous, natural pink coloring.
Our co-star, goat kefir, is an ingredient you may already add to your beast’s meals. If not, you may want to talk to your vet about its benefits. We have supplemented our pack’s meals with goat kefir for years. (Obviously a beast’s size determines their daily serving.) If you’re not familiar, goat kefir is a probiotic drinkable yogurt that is easier to digest than cow’s milk. Goat kefir is packed with essential nutrients, 11 active cultures and millions of live probiotics.
We use Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir. We care deeply about the welfare of all animals, including farm animals. Redwood Hill Farm is committed to the highest standards of animal welfare and were the first Certified Humane ™ goat dairy in our country. Go to redwoodhill.com to read more about what life is like for their goats and their stewardship of the land. Then, please go to certifiedhumane.org to see how this non-profit works, as well as their standards for certification. The more we know about the foods we feed our beasts, the better decisions we can make for all animals.
While we welcome you to steam your own beets, when we don’t feel like washing more dishes, we use Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets. Be sure to purchase their plain, organic beets as some of their beets have added flavorings.
Our SILICONE HEARTS MOLD is 6” x 6”, we were lucky and found the last one at our local Dollar Tree. You can also easily find them on Amazon. INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup beet puree , approximately 3 beets (divided into 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup goat kefir, plain (can substitute plain goat yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Puree beets in a small food processor or blender. If your beets are on the dryer side add a table spoon of water at a time to prevent them from sticking to the sides of your processor.
- With a small spoon, use approximately ¼ cup beet puree to fill 1/3 off each heart in the mold.
- Place partially filled hearts in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup beet puree with goat kefir and honey.
- Once partially frozen, remove your mold from the freezer and fill the hearts to the top.
- Replace fully filled hearts in the freezer until completely frozen.
Happy Season of Love to you and your beasts!