February 04, 2020Treats
BEET & CHIA SEED BISCUITS
February is here, love is in the air and boy, does it smell amazing! Wait, what? This Valentine’s Day we’re showing our unconditional love for our beasts by baking delicious Beet & Chia Seed Biscuits.
Packed with beets (one of our favorite superfoods), chia seeds and essential whole grains, our biscuits are not only healthy, they’re also a beautiful pink color, perfect for celebrating the season of love.
- 1 cup beets (pureed)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 2 2/3 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cup rice flour
[NOTE: CHEATING IS FOR WINNERS I use Love Beets brand Organic Cooked Beets to avoid the hassle and stained fingers associated with making beets myself.]
- Preheat oven to 225° F.
- Puree beets in a small Cuisinart or blender.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine beet puree, applesauce, canola oil and honey with the paddle attachment on medium for about 3 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix on medium another 3 minutes. The mixture should be the consistency of a loose applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, rice flour and chia seeds.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients ½ cup at a time and mix well after each addition. (As the liquid content of beets and applesauce can vary, you’ll know you have added enough flour when the dough feels soft, but not sticky to the touch. A little more or a little less flour than what the recipe calls for may be required.)
- Remove the dough from the bowl, press into a ball, wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes to one hour. (Dough can be made a day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. Return to room temperature prior to rolling out.) As we’re using gluten free flour, it’s best to let wet ingredients fully absorb.
- Place dough on a lightly rice floured surface, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and roll out to ¼ inch thickness. [For a smooth crack free surface, always place a sheet of plastic wrap between your dough and rolling pin.] Remove plastic wrap, cut biscuits and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 2 hours [longer for crunchier treats, less time for softer) turn off oven and leave treats in oven to cool and dry.
Store treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks depending on their moisture content.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your beasts!